Thursday, July 2, 2009

Finally...an update.

The roosters began their call for the sun to rise at 6 this morning. The children's voices carried over the wall beyond our room at 6:30. This is the way to wake up, no alarm clocks.
The rain is pounding the metal roof as I type. It is no wonder that the palm leaves are large and lush. The bouganvilla(?) grows strong in a canopy above the guest house rooms. Uganda is beautiful.
This morning we are in no rush to head out to the next orphanage. The rain slows everything. Instead of gathering crafts and sports equipment, I am reflecting on the people and places I have encountered. I am so thankful for all of you who have faithfully prayed for our team. I am so thankful for your financial support and encouragement.
Yesterday in the parking lot of a large shopping center, I overheard an chinese man speaking to a local. "They come for a week or two and then leave. They think they are helping, but really they do nothing." At first, it sounded discouraging. I know his view would be so different though if he believed in kingdom work. If our work were strictly out of our own efforts, it would be fleeting. The bible even tells us this in John 6:63, 'It is the Spirit who gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing."
When I return the babies to their tiled floor or say goodbye to the preteen with a hug, I am leaving, but Christ remains. The Spirit works in ways I don't understand. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be the hands and feet who served these children. Thank you for partnering with me. I know God will bless you for your faithfulness to respond to the extreme needs of the orphan. Words only say so much. I hope the photographs will speak to your heart. As sson as I can, I will post them. If you haven't yet, follow the link to Mindy's blog at www.mindygoestoafrica.blogspot.com to see some now.

We have limited access and many team members so I'll say goodbye for now.

With incredible gratitude,
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment